Job Opportunity: Innovation Fund Manager for New Story
The Builders are the visionary, private group of investor donors that fund all of New Story’s R&D, innovation, staff, overhead, travel, etc. The Builders enable our 100% promise, and give us the capital to pioneer solutions (e.g., 3D home printing, software products, etc.) There are now 42 Builders, mostly comprised of CEOs, top executives, managing directors, founders, entrepreneurs, family foundations, corporate partners, and investors. We will share who these leaders are after you apply.
Our goal is to scale the membership program to 60-70 Builders (with annual recurring revenue of $4M-$5M+) by the end of 2019, and we need someone to help make this happen! You’ll be working on our Growth Team and reporting directly to our CEO. For about 80% of your time, you’ll:
- Manage and grow relationships with existing Builders
- Curate excellent experiences for Builders and corporate innovation fund partners
- Increase the pipeline of new Builders and new innovation project funders
- Create strategic funding proposals/campaigns for the innovation fund
The other 20% of your time will be used with your “team of founders” value working on other strategic initiatives.
You will aim to build a curated, sustainable, and world-class program of top leaders and strategic partners that will enable New Story to pioneer more innovative solutions to exponentially scale our impact.
You will have admin support, you’ll work in collaboration with our Chief Brand Officer and brand team (video, copy, communication, design, etc.), and you’ll work with our COO and Ops team on proposals for new innovation and R&D proposals/campaigns.
The right person is reading this and saying, “wow, that’s me!’
You’re an Excellent Relationship Builder
You have the unique ability to build strategic relationships and become friends with extraordinary leaders. You can’t help but go above and beyond after you meet someone that has the potential to accelerate the mission you’re working on. You’re obsessed with thoughtful follow-ups, detailed planning, expressing gratitude, having empathy, and being creative about how you can add value to others.
You have Uncommon Potential
You have big dreams, and you are incredibly determined to make a significant impact. This role is for someone that will become a future executive, be on a management team, or might even start their own organization in the future. You have an entrepreneurial spirit with an insatiable drive to get better and deliver your best possible work. You will work closely with Brett and the co-founders on some of the biggest ideas and most strategic relationships at New Story over the next few years.
You have Excellent Communication Skills
You are confident when talking with and presenting to CEOs, top executives, Managing Directors, founders, entrepreneurs, family foundations, and investors. You will be an outstanding representation of New Story’s mission, team, and all of our top stakeholders. These opportunities excite you, and you love the hustle that goes into being overly prepared and confident in your communication with senior leaders.
You’re Tenacious and Humble
We look for team members who have a combination of personal humility and intense professional will. We constantly learn from each other, admit our mistakes, and have the drive to better ourselves every day. You have a very high standard of excellence in all that you do and you’re obsessed with learning and growing.
You have a Founder’s Mentality (Team of Founders)
At New Story, we never use the word, “employee.” People do not join New Story for a good job. Team members join New Story because they want to be part of creating a built-to-last organization that will impact tens of millions of people in need around the world. You’re a builder and owner with the mentality of a founder.
You know how to analyze the situation, do your research, ask the right probing questions, identify the opportunity, then connect all the dots with an intelligent, compelling pitch.
You’re not afraid to swing for the fences. You love trying new creative ideas even though the ideas might not work. You’re smart enough to know to take a calculated risk, that might not work, improve through learning, and then move on.
- Growing, managing, cultivating existing Builder relationships
- Creating and curating excellent experiences (vision nights, trips, gatherings, etc.)
- Increasing the pipeline, and then working with Brett to secure new Builders
- Creating strategic funding proposals/campaigns (e.g., 3D home printing, other innovations)
- Working with the brand team to create new content for Builders and the innovation fund
THE MUST HAVES:
- Unquestionable alignment with New Story’s core values
- Success in building a program, movement, special project or new venture
- 3+ years of experience in business development, strategic account management, sales, growth or marketing that directly produced exceptional results
- Sophistication and confidence. You will be interacting with top leaders and you need to be able to earn their respect by being prepared and confident in what you’re communicating
- Ability and desire to travel about 25% of the month to mostly LA, NYC, SEA, CHI, ATL, SF, and to Haiti, El Salvador, and Mexico
- Proven track record of working well in a collaborative team setting and resourcefulness to help outside of your role
- Unwavering determination and work ethic to be the best possible version of yourself and to intentionally grow as a leader
- An incredibly high level of self-discipline and winning daily habits